[BIOLOGY | Week #13] Vaccination + Public Health

Public Health Policy + Vaccinations


I think compulsory vaccination is effective, especially if there is a major breakout of a disease that historically has been under control, such as small pox.  I think because I don't have any children there is a bias, disconnect, and misunderstanding I have of parents who are willing to place the children (and the risk of other peoples children) by not vaccinating them.  Throughout history, our society has been able to sustain and survive crazy epidemics.  There was a point in time when vaccines weren't available or accessible in the U.S. There are developing countries today who continue to have little to no access to vaccines that people in this nation are PRIVILEGED to obtain.  Perhaps anti-vaxxers would have a change of heart if they lived in an environment where they see scores of children being decimated from preventable diseases like the measles.  I honestly don't know how to accommodate parental choice if I were drafting the vaccination law...I am in the mindset of protecting the health and livelihood of the community as whole. 

  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[BIOCHEMISTRY | Week #11] The Chemistry of Life

[BIOLOGY | Week #14] Which Way Forward?